Business Intelligence Center
The Business Intelligence Center brings together business development and corporate intelligence tools and resources to keep you informed and ahead of emerging developments that impact your organization, your clients and your business partners, as well as helping you target valuable prospects.
The Business Intelligence Center provides easy access to a number of business development and competitive intelligence resources, including:
- 3.5+ million Company Profiles
- Company Report Writer
- Company Watchlist/Lookup
- Bloomberg League Tables
- Customized Dashboards
- Bloomberg Briefs Newsletters
- People Search
- Company Screener
- Breaking Complaints
- Dockets Search
- Litigation Analytics
- Deal Analytics
- EDGAR Search
Accessing Business Intelligence Center
- Type “Business Intelligence” in the Search Bar and selecting Business Intelligence Center from the auto-complete drop down menu.
- Open Browse All Content menu, select Business Intelligence, and Business Intelligence Center
The Business Intelligence Center also offers the ability to create an unlimited number of fully customized Dashboards populated with the tools and searches.
Dashboards can be created from scratch or by starting with one of our pre-made Template dashboards.
Create a Dashboard from scratch, and add any number of individual tiles to a blank Dashboard. Tiles display results for different types of searches available on Bloomberg Law. Currently available search-based tile types include News, Dockets, Court Opinions, EDGAR, Transactional Precedents, People, Patents, All Legal, Law Reports, Company Screener, and Notes.
Alternatively, you also have quick access to your dashboards through a My Dashboards link on the Browse All Content Menu:
Select "Create Dashboard" to launch our Dashboard Wizard
Step 1: Select Dashboard Type. Each has unique content options
Step 2: Customize Dashboard Content. For example, if you selected "Follow a Company"
Your Custom Dashboard:
Edit searches using the search criteria accessible directly from the tile or, modify additional search criteria by clicking on View More from the front of the tile:
And then selecting “Edit Search” to access all search criteria:
Once you run a new search, you can create a tile directly from the search results page:
Create tiles for your Dashboard from any saved searches previously created on Bloomberg Law:
Add Links to your Dashboard using a Notes tile. You can add links to any website/URL.
- From the Add Tile dropdown, select Note.
- In the box, copy and paste the following: <a href=“[URL]“>[Link Name]</a>
- Replace the [URL] text with the URL for the page, search, etc. for which you would like the link to open.
*Note – do not delete the quotation marks, the link must go between the quotations
- Replace the [Link Name] text with the text you want to appear on the tile.
- Click the green save button
You can add more than one link to a Note tile, but there is a 2,000 total character limit per tile. Use the code <p> to add a hard return (extra space between links/text).
Add notes to your Dashboards using a Notes tile.
You can name, move and resize (small, medium and large) the tiles on a Dashboard. You can set alerts from any of your tiles:
Name the Dashboards and share them by email with any Bloomberg Law user at your organization:
Shared Dashboards are edited only by the sender, not by the recipient(s). Any changes the sender makes to the Dashboard is viewable by a recipient the next time the recipient accesses or refreshes the Dashboard link.
Dashboards are refreshed automatically, so the most up-to-date results display first.
You can set the Business Intelligence Center or any one of your Dashboards as your homepage:
How to Find Key Financial Ratios
Key Financial Ratio information is accessible via a link in the Browse Company Information frame on a Company Profile. The Key Financial Ratios page provides several important measures to examine the financial condition and risk of a publicly traded company, based on data disclosed in that company's audited financial statements. Key Ratios can be displayed in an annual or quarterly view.
Example: Find General Electric’s Altman's Z-score.
- Enter "General Electric" in the Search Bar and select General Electric Co.
- General Electric’s Company Profile loads.
- Click Key Financial Ratios under Browse Company Information.
- The Key Financial Ratios screen displays.
- Find the Altman’s Z-score in the Risk section.
Look up a Company Profile
There are numerous ways to access a Company Profile using the Company Name or Ticker. Company Profiles are accessible through the Search Bar, the results page of a Company Screener search, and links to Company Profiles for companies referenced in Bloomberg News articles.
Look Up a Company Profile Using the Search Bar
- Enter the Ticker or name of a company into the Search Bar.
- Select the company from the auto-complete drop-down menu.
- If you do not see the company you are looking for, try searching for it from the Company Watchlist/Lookup page.
Look Up a Company Profile from the Company Watchlist/Lookup Page
- Open the Browse All Content Menu, select Business Intelligence, click Company Watchlist/Lookup.
- If the company is not already in your Watchlist, type its name or ticker in the Company Lookup field.
- The auto-complete functionality displays a list of matching companies in the drop-down menu, select the company.
- Click Go.
- The company profile loads.
Click More to load relevant News.
Recommended articles are filtered to the top of the Results for News display.
To search for companies based on specific financial criteria use the Company Screener. Search for qualitative factors such as Country, Industry and Exchange, as well as quantitative/financial factors such as Market Cap, EBITDA and Debt Distribution.
How to Use the Company Screener
Company Screener can be accessed directly from the Search Bar, or from the Browse All Content Menu, under Business Intelligence.
Use the Location & Industry section to select a company by Country of Domicile, State of Domicile and Industry. All the fields in this section feature the auto-complete functionality. To see all categories supported by a specific field, click Browse. This opens a category tree of options.
Use the Financial & Trading Information section to specify trading status, exchange criteria, and financial criteria of the company you are seeking. Search for companies based on keywords that are contained in the company’s name and/or description.
Use the Company Debt Profile frame to specify the debt distribution of the companies that interest you. For example, search for companies that have more than a certain amount of debt maturing within a specific period of time.
Add a Company to the Watchlist
Access your Company Watchlist by entering “Company Watchlist” in the Search Bar and selecting it from the auto-complete drop-down list. Alternatively, click Browse All Content, and click Business Intelligence and select Company Watchlist/Lookup. Add a company to the Watchlist from the Company Watchlist screen or from the company's profile page.
Add a Company to the Watchlist from a Company Profile.
- Locate a company, and open the Company Profile.
- From the Company Profile, click the Watchlist link and select Add to Watchlist from the drop-down menu.
The company displays in your Watchlist.
Add a Company to the Watchlist directly from the Watchlist
Go to the Add to Watchlist field on the Company Watchlist page. Enter the name or ticker symbol for the company you want to add and select it from the auto-complete drop-down menu. Click GO.
The Watchlist is organized alphabetically, and the Company displays on the Watchlist.
Remove a Company from the Watchlist
Access a Company Watchlist by typing “Company Watchlist” in the Search Bar and selecting it from the auto-complete drop-down list. Alternatively, from the Browse All Content menu, click Business Intelligence and select Company Watchlist.
Remove a Company from the Watchlist
- On the Watchlist, click the Name of the company to be removed. The panel expands with a snapshot of the company's page.
- At the top of the panel, click Remove from Watchlist.
Alternatively, again on the Company Watchlist page, select Remove Companies on the right, above the list of companies. In the dialog box, check the company or companies to remove from the Watchlist, and click the green Remove button.
Remove a Watchlist Company from Company Profile Page
- Load the Company Profile page for the company you seek to remove.
- Click the Watchlist button on the top right of the screen. From the drop-down menu, select Remove from Watchlist.
Report Writer Overview
Company Report Writer provides maximum flexibility to export data from Bloomberg Law’s extensive Company Profiles. Whether you are taking advantage of the Quick Report, are creating a Custom Report or are creating and saving Report Templates, Company Report Writer saves you time by permitting you instant access to company information and the ability to choose an output format – PDF or RTF/Doc - to fit your needs. After you generate a report, it is saved to Downloads under My Work History and remains there for seven days.
How to Access the Company Report Writer
- Access Company Report Writer from the Search Bar, enter “Company Report” and select Company Report Writer from the auto-complete drop-down list. Alternatively, click the Browse All Content menu, click Business Intelligence and select Company Report Writer.
- Enter the company name or ticker symbol in the Ticker field, and select from the auto-complete drop-down options list. Click Custom Report.
- Once the company displays, in the Report Content frame, select the information to be included. Many of the fields provide specific options to include/exclude. The Recent Litigation, Recent Filings and Company News fields also display options to Browse , and select specific content to be included.
Note: You can run Reports from your Company Watchlist or directly from a Company Profile.
Use Company Report Writer to customize the contents of your Company Report, including specific categories of information with a customized output.
Create a Quick Report for a Specific Company:
- On the Search Bar, enter “Company Report” and select Company Report Writer from the auto-complete drop-down list. Alternatively, click the Browse All Content menu, click Business Intelligence and select Company Report Writer.
- In the Ticker field, enter the ticker or begin typing the name of the company, choose a company from the auto-complete drop-down menu.
- Select the report format.
- Click Quick Report . The Quick Report pop-up displays.
- To view the report, click on My Work History at the top of the screen and select Downloads. The list of recent downloads displays to the right of the Downloads button, click View All at the top of the list to locate the Quick Report.
Quick Reports may include the following information:
- Company Overviews: One-page summary with a brief description of the company's business and key data, such as country of incorporation, industry and market capitalization.
- Issuer Credit Ratings: Includes three latest ratings/rating changes from Standard & Poor's, Moody's and Fitch, as available.
- Historical Price, Volume, and Earnings Data: Displays quarterly price and volume information for the last 12 months, when data is available. Earnings (EPS) data is displayed for the last 4 quarters.
- Most Recent Litigation: Displays the 25 most recent dockets associated with the company.
- Company Management: Displays executives, board of directors, committees, executive compensation, changes and interlocks data.
- Financial Results: Displays financial data for the last four quarters, when available. Includes the income statement, balance sheet, cash flow and key ratio data.
- Debt and Equity Offerings: Displays most recent public offering data, as applicable, and 20 of the most recently announced corporate bonds, preferreds and active loans in the marketplace.
- Holdings: Displays up to the 20 largest insider and institutional stock holders.
- Company Hierarchy: Displays the list of major subsidiaries and related entities. Note, a company must own at least 50% of the subsidiary for Bloomberg to recognize it as a major subsidiary.
- Corporate Actions: Displays corporate actions occurring during the last 12 months.
- Recent Filings: Displays the 50 most recent filings.
- Company News: Displays the 10 most recent Bloomberg news stories about the company.
Custom Company Reports allows you to customize the contents of your Company Report. You can include specific categories of information and customize the output.
How to Create A Custom Report
- To access the Custom Report Writer, enter "Company Report" in the Search Bar, select Company Report Writer from the auto-complete drop-down list. Alternatively, click the Browse All Content menu, click Business Intelligence and select Company Report Writer.
- In the Ticker field, type the ticker or name of the company using the auto-complete pick list to select the company. Click the Custom Report button to select the fields to be included in the report.
- (Optional) In the Report Name field, input a new name.
- Select the Format.
- Check and uncheck the Report Content checkboxes to specify the content to include in the report. Most content has options for additional content option selections. Make those selections as needed.
- (Optional) If you select the Recent Litigation, Recent Filings or Company News sections, click the Browse button to select specific documents. The Browse button reverts to Hide when content options are displayed.
- (Optional) Click Reset to Default to load the original criteria for the selected section.
- (Optional) Click Save Template to save the criteria for future use.
- Click Generate Report.
- To view the report, click My Work History at the top of the screen and select Downloads
- Recently added documents display in the frame to the right of the Downloads button, click View All and click the Report Name to view the full text report.
- Select the report to Delete, Zip/Download or add the report to your Workspace.
Custom Report Templates
Use report templates to create specific criteria that is saved and applied to future Custom Reports. Saved templates are found in the Report Templates panel of the Company Report Writer screen.
How to Create a Custom Report Template
To create a template, follow the instructions found in Creating a Custom Report but click the Save Template button.
How Use a Custom Report Template
- Enter "Company Report" in the Search Bar and select Company Report Writer from the auto-complete drop-down list. Alternatively, open the Browse All Content menu, select Business Intelligence and click Company Report Writer.
- Select the name of a template from the Report Templates frame.
- In the Ticker field, enter a new ticker name or leave the original name to re-run the template for that company, the auto-complete functionality provides a list of companies to choose from.
- Click Generate Report.
- To view the report, click My Work History on the menu bar and click Downloads. The list of recent Downloads displays to the right of the Downloads button, click View All.